Power House 10.11-71 defeated Latrobe University 8.9-57

Goal Kickers: G. Tubridy 3, R. Webb 2, J. Gatti 2, L. Johnston 2, A. Collett
Best Players: M. Lynch, S. Shanks, R. Webb, D. Burnside, D. Baker, G. Tubridy

The boys returned home this week to play their postponed game against Latrobe University. The ground looked in great condition and was in much better shape than it was 5 weeks ago when it was under water!

There was a great deal of expectation and determination after the disappointing draw of last week.

Coach Ant Voyage had briefed the boys with a clear game strategy and expectation and this had been hammered home all week at training.

A few key outs with Sam Watson and Ed Buultjens unavailable and Luke Stubbs a late withdrawal with the flu but Justin White, Tyler Hinck and late inclusion Gerry Tubridy added some strength and a pace to the lineup.

The game started well with Power House kicking away to a handy 7 point lead at the first change. The intensity was up and the windy conditions made it hard for all players but the boys were hard at it and deserved their advantage. The first term saw Leroy Johnston and Michael Lynch sent off by the umpire along with their opponents while Adam Collett, who happened to be running past, was also invited to sit out for a spell. Strange umpiring indeed.

The second term saw more of the same with the boys kicking 3 goals to 1 and dominating for lengthy periods. The boys went into the sheds at half time with a 22 point lead.

Coach Ant Voyage implored his players not to relax and allow Latrobe back into the game. He asked for a lift in intesity and concentration.

Latrobe came out for the second half and lifted but the boys responded well and pressured Latrobe into some poor disposal and maintained a 13 point lead heading into the final quarter.

Ricky Webb’s unbelievable goal from the boundary and the audacious celebration that followed lifted the side and Gerry Tubridy put the final nail into the Latrobe coffin.

Power House ran out 14 point winners.

Michael Lynch was awesome all day playing a running role while Stuart Shanks continued his great recent form down back.

Pocket Rocket Ricky Webb was everywhere while Darren Baker picked up kicks dominating across half back.

Gerry Tubridy made the most of his late call up with 3 goals and numerous possessions while Jaydyn Gatti and Ricky Webb bagged a couple each


Power House 4.6-30 defeated by Latrobe University 9.12-66

Goal Kickers: B. Cox 2, C. Barratt , L. Neville
Best Players: 
L. Neville, J. O’Doherty, P. Mackney, G. Cleary, E. Edwards, N. Moresi

The Power House 2’s went into this ‘Rain Delayed’ match needing a win to cement themselves in the top 5. The La Trobe Unit would not be an easy opponent having lost only 1 game all year.

PHAFC started well with the first goal… but then La Trobe piled on the next 4 to hold a handy lead at Quarter time.

The bad news was we lost James ‘Playboy’ Walsh early with a nasty finger injury and he went off to hospital.

Steve ‘Feathers’ Webb gave the boys a bit of a bake and they in turn responded with a solid 2nd Quarter. It was the Irish contingent that lifted… Barry ‘Stiffy’ Cox was everywhere repelling opposition attacks and scoring a goal himself while Johnnie ‘Trash Talker’ O’Doherty was in his opponents pocket all day!

‘Fabulous’ Phil Mackney was putting in a Captains effort and threw his weight around in the midfield and “Big Bad Bustling” Chris Barrett continued his good season by snagging a goal. Lyndon ‘Scarface’ Neville kicked a cheeky snap from the boundary after marking strongly. The boys went in at the main break 11 points down and had some momentum going their way.

The 3rd quarter was forgettable for the PHAFC boys as La Trobe kicked 4.5 to 0.0, La Trobe played some good footy showing why they have only lost 1 game in season 2013.

‘Danger’ Dan Buckley had the angry pills in and probably had more hits than kicks, Nathan ‘The Fist’ Moresi was well held and ‘Fabulous’ Phil Mackney even kicked the ball the wrong way at one stage – don’t worry he’ll be lighter in the pocket after training on Thursday for that one!

The last quarter was an arm wrestle with each team scoring one goal with Barry ‘Stiffy’ Cox sliding one in for his 2nd goal after a mark on the lead. Gerry ‘Drink all the Bar Profits’ Cleary tried hard all day in a ruck combo with Duncan ‘Funky Town’ Eastey and they played well.

Good mates Euan ‘Freight Train’ Edwards and Heath ‘Social Pages’ Miller fought hard and played some good footy. James ‘Atomic Wedgy’ Dwyer once again marshalled the troops across the back and Dom ‘Jodi’ Mitchell ran hard all day.

PHAFC eventually went down by 6 goals and now face a must win clash against Ladder leaders Kew in a make or break game.

Special mention goes out to our resident Kiwi Isaac ‘The Stud’ Randall who played his last game for PHAFC before moving to Perth. Isaac has been a good clubman in his short time with the club and we wish him all the best!